Monday 15 August 2011

Goodbye, Temple of Doom!

This is my final post on this blog from Wales - next time you hear from me I will be in Dundee! I've just returned from Cardiff after a busy last few days of preparation before we travel to Scotland tomorrow, and thought I'd fill you in on what we've been up to.

We started the weekend in Cardiff, then travelled to Oxford for Saturday night, before arriving in London on Sunday morning to take on Team England in two friendly debates. In the morning, we debated one of our prepared cases, and in the afternoon we took on an impromptu debate, THW* punish sports teams for the misbehaviour of their fans. It was lovely to meet Team England prior to the tournament, and was really good preparation for WSDC. Also, it made a nice change to debate against someone other than Jonny iron-manning (delivering all speeches for) the opposite side.

We returned to Cardiff today for a final training session, which was tinged with sadness as Sarah and I bade farewell to the Temple of Peace, also known as the Temple of Doom, which has been our debating home for 3 years. Paul and David are eligible to apply for the team next year, however for Sarah and myself this is our final year of schools debating.

On a brighter note - this time tomorrow we'll be in Dundee!

*From here on in I'll be using the abbreviations THW (This House Would) and THBT (This House Believes That) when I discuss motions.

No comments:

Post a Comment