Saturday 27 August 2011

And now I'm home...

It's been an unforgettable ten days. I've met some lovely, amazing, wonderful people who, now that I'm home, I miss very much already, and I'm sure that we'll stay in touch and hopefully meet again in the future. I've been privileged to take part in some fantastic debates against many highly skilled speakers, and be part of a friendly (if slightly eccentric) team who've supported me when I was nervous and allowed me to be myself.

There are a lot of people without whom this tournament would not have been the incredible experience it was. On behalf of Team Wales, I want to thank the OVT for their outstanding logistical management and sense of humour, all the financial sponsors who are listed at http://wsdctournament.wordpress.com/sponsors/, the schools who so generously opened their doors to us and made us feel so welcome, the pupils who showed us around (especially Max, Iona, Rose and Rory), the co-CAs Beth James and Andrew Marshall, the Chief Adjudication Panel, Cameron Wyllie for organising our day out in Edinburgh, and the co-convenors Malcolm Smart and Gaynor Sullivan. I also want to thank our coaches, Jonathan Leader-Maynard and Ellen Robertson, and Martin Pollard and the staff at CEWC Cymru for all their supportive texts and for putting up with me when I forget to post my consent form and find myself unable to work the scanner.

But most of all, my thanks go to Irene McGrath, the convenor of WSDC 2011. Irene, thank you so much for all your hard work in making this a truly fantastic tournament, and for making my final year as a debater at WSDC so special.

I've been really lucky to be able to attend three wonderful tournaments, each different to the last and completely unique. Being a part of the WSDC community for these last three years has been so special, and I want to thank everyone who has been a part of it, in whatever capacity, for making it happen and being so wonderful. I definitely want to remain in touch with the tournament and hear all about Wales winning the final and claiming the top five speaker positions in the near future.

So to all the members of the WSDC community, thank you, and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment